Sat August 18, 2012 1:36pm
VIDEO of the night when a young man allegedly shot himself in the head while cuffed with his hands behind his back and sitting in a patrol car has failed to clear US police.
Arkansas police released footage to news organizations under a Freedom of Information Act request this week.
They released more footage today amid questions about why the first batch of video appeared to end before the officers found Chavis Carter, 21, slumped over and bleeding in the back of a patrol car on July 28 .
Police have said officers had frisked Carter twice without finding a gun.
"There's still nothing in there about what actually happened with Chavis," Benjamin Irwin, a Memphis-based lawyer representing Carter's family, said before the second batch of video had been released.
The internal police investigation into the shooting has not yet been completed. The FBI has said it is also monitoring the case.
Teresa Carter, mother of Chavis Carter, is hugged by supporters following the candlelight vigil held in her son's honor at the First Baptist Church on Kitchen Street in Jonesboro, Arkansas. Picture: The Jonesboro Sun, Krystin McClellan
Sergeant Lyle Waterworth, spokesman for the Jonesboro police, said Friday morning that he hadn't yet seen the video his department released the night before.
Hours later, amid questions about the dashboard camera video that had been released, he agreed to release some more that he said occurred after Carter was discovered.
No other dashboard camera video exists, he said, but additional video was retrieved during a forensic exam of Carter's phone. He said that remains part of the active investigation and wouldn't be released yet.
To explain stops in the video, he said the camera system in both patrol cars is controlled automatically with an emergency light bar and siren system.