Witnesses speak of terror raids 'shock'
Thu September 13, 2012 1:24pm
UPDATE: NEIGHBOURS affected by the series of terror raids across Melbourne yesterday have spoken about their shock and fear about living so close to police targets.
Anti-terror police seized guns and a computer memory stick allegedly containing extremist material in a series of co-ordinated raids on 11 properties across the suburbs.
AFP officers continued their operations today at a property in Narre Warren South.
A man, 23, from Officer in Melbourne's southeast, is expected to be charged with collecting or making documents likely to facilitate terrorist acts.
Australian Federal Police have confirmed the man has been taken to hospital with abdominal pain.
Did you see the raids? Contact our newsdesk on 9292 1226 or email email@example.com
The maximum penalty for the offence is 15 years' jail.
A woman who lives in the same street as the arrested man said she believed he lived there with wife, his brother and his sister-in-law.
Trish Bourke said undercover police cars were at the property in Officer when she left for work at 7.30am yesterday.
A home raided by police in Arena parade, Officer, in Melbourne's southest. Picture: Pinder Trevor
"The family have lived there about one-and-a-half to two years," she said.
"The women wore the full hijab and both men had beards.
"I said hello to them if I saw them and they would say hello back but that's about it. We didn't have conversations. They were not that friendly."
Another neighbour believed the younger brother was arrested.
"The older one, and possibly both, were working in insulation," he said.
Another neighbour, who did not want to be named, said the double-storey modern brick property had been up for sale for a few weeks.