Mon July 16, 2012 3:53pm
A GROUP of south-west city residents are rallying together against plans to allow buildings up to 14 storeys to be developed in their streets.
The residents have started a campaign against the State Government's planning changes for their part of the city, which they say will lead to a "gross over-development of the area".
They say high-rise buildings - in the corner of the city bordered by Sturt St, West Tce, South Tce and King William Rd - will destroy the character and sense of community in the area.
About 60 residents gathered at a community meeting last week in support of the campaign, which would be driven by 12 residents.
South-west city resident Julie Jordan, who initiated the meeting, said she hoped the campaign would have some influence over the State Government and City Council's plans.
Mrs Jordan said the group would meet this week to discuss plans for a rally to highlight residents' concerns.
Most of the city's south-west now falls under the Main Street Zone, which will allow up to six-storey developments.
The State Government has already approved plans for a $200 million development on the former Mayfield site, Sturt St, which would involve three towers up to 14 storeys and 500 carparks.
Since the Mayfield site exceeds 1500sq m, it is considered a "catalyst site" and does not have a set height limit.
For more city news, pick up a copy of the City Messenger or click here.