I fear for my family, says Ablett
Wed July 11, 2012 12:00am
FOOTBALL great Gary Ablett Sr says he fears for his life and those of his children, claiming a disturbed woman is stalking him.
The former Geelong champion applied for an intervention order against a 39-year old woman yesterday, saying he had endured months of threats and surveillance by her alleged associates.
Ablett told Geelong Magistrates' Court he feared the men would harm his children, including AFL superstar son Gary Ablett Jr.
"I was almost run over by these blokes last night," Ablett said.
"I'm concerned about my children, I really am."
The deeply religious Ablett appeared nervous in court, and took an affirmation in the witness box rather than swear an oath on a Bible.
He told magistrate Stephen Myall the woman had made his life hell, texting him threatening messages for months on end and organising people to hack his mobile phone so he could be tracked.
Ablett also claimed she had remotely deleted many threatening text messages on his mobile phone and had tracked him down on two other phones he'd registered in another name.
"I received messages on my new phone from someone asking about my children," Ablett told the court.
He said his nightmare began about five months ago after he drove the woman, a mother of a 12-year-old boy, home from a party after she was unable to flag down a taxi.
He told the court they became friends and he had been trying to help her get her life back on track.
"I shared my faith with her," he said.
When the friendship soured a few weeks later, Ablett said she turned on him.
"She said I was delusional and that I would be dead in six months if I didn't talk to her," Ablett said.
Viewing page: [ 1 2 ]