ZOO  

News

Unmetered
News.com.au

Darwin man caught up in Thai fire tragedy

Fri August 17, 2012 3:01pm

A DARWIN man has told of seeing 'people on fire' after a Thai nightclub popular with tourists was hit by lightning.

AFP reported that fire has ripped through a popular club in Phuket early this morning, leaving at least four dead and more than 20 others injured, officials say. "There are four confirmed dead. We believe they are foreign tourists, but it's not yet confirmed," Phuket deputy governor Chamroen Tipayapongtada said. "The fire was caused by lightning which struck a transformer and the fire spread throughout the place," he added. READ: Four dead in Thai fire Hospital workers in the seaside resort of Patong said the injured included both Thais and foreigners. Darwin man Jaryd Kemp, 26, told the NT News "it's been a crazy night like all nights are in Thailand, but things went bad when lightning hit power lines and transformer exploded five metres away from me causing sparks and blue flames shooting off it. "People on fire running out of the club like you would see in a movie," said Mr Kemp. "When I heard the reports of only four dead I couldn't believe that." "I'm safe just exhausted." "Patong is my second home to Darwin and had to make sure all my friends were OK." Hospital workers said foreigners were among the casualties in the blaze early on Friday at the Tiger disco, where rescue workers pulled the charred bodies of victims out of the smouldering wreckage. A second provincial official said 12 people were admitted to hospital with injuries. Rescue workers had retrieved the four bodies and sent them for autopsies, he added. Mr Kemp said the experience has not turned him off the legendary Thai nightlife. "I'll be back on Bangla Road (the clubbing district) tonight though. "No lightning , explosion or fire gonna keep me away," he said.

Share:
Email

Twitter

Facebook

Top

More News