Wed July 11, 2012 7:09pm
Prosecutors in Bali step back from threat to call for the death penalty for Australian drug smuggler Edward Norman Myatt.
PROSECUTORS in Bali have stepped back from their threat to call for the death penalty for Australian drug smuggler Edward Norman Myatt.
They have asked the judge for 15 years imprisonment instead.
Myatt, 54, an Australian citizen who had been living in London before his arrest, has admitted to smuggling just over a kilogram of hashish and five grams of crystal methamphetamine into Bali.
The drugs were found in 72 capsules which Myatt had swallowed. Judges in Denpasar court were told authorities became suspicious at Myatt's "abnormally large belly" and took him to a hospital for scans.
However, on the way to the hospital he had jumped out of the car and tried to run away.
Calling for the 15-year sentence and Rp.2 billion ($215,000) fine, prosecutor Putu Atmaja said Myatt had escaped the death penalty because had been polite during the trial, admitted his guilt and apologised to the Indonesian public.
Myatt had told the court he obtained the drugs in New Delhi. He has variously argued that the drugs were for personal use, and that he had brought them in under pressure from an unidentified man.
His lawyer, Nyoman Sudiantara, said Myatt had been addicted to cannabis since he was 16 and, because of his advanced age he need to be able to start rehabilitation as soon as possible.
"We plead for a lighter sentence, if possible, lighter than what the prosecutor is asking," Mr Nyoman said.
Last year another Australian, Michael Sacatides, was sentenced to 18 years for importing 1.7 kilograms of methamphetamine to Bali.